Horrible Urethra Pain Upon Penetration

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:41 am
Gender: Female

Horrible Urethra Pain Upon Penetration

Postby lauravasic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:23 am

For the last few months, every time I insert a tampon or penetration happens, shooting pains happen from a spot around my urethra and vaginal opening. It feels like something is being stretched. I first thought that my urethra had somehow fallen and the stretching was really me forcing things into my urethra but that doesn't make sense. It doesn't hurt all the time. Just when something hits this one area. Bleeding also occurs. I told my doctor about this and he put me on medication for a yeast infection. I'm almost done with the yeast infection medication and the pain is still as worse as ever. I'm not a virgin so the pain has nothing to do with that...I'm just so frustrated. This just started happening one night out of the blue. I'm afraid that if I go to a gynecologist, the pain isn't going to happen because it only happens when something medium or big is inserted and I'm going to be told 'it's all my head' (as another woman with this problem was told). Could you please help me?


User avatar
Debbie Miller, RN
Posts: 4746
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 pm
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Re: Horrible Urethra Pain Upon Penetration

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Wed May 20, 2009 6:21 pm

It is important to see a doctor because they can determine if you get pain with the insertion of a speculum so they should be able to reproduce your experience. You may have vulvodynia (painful vulva) or vaginitis, which could result from an infection. The treatment for yeast is a good first course since that is so common. I wish it had solved your problems. But, there are other types of infection as well as hormonal changes that can cause this pain.

In some cases physical therapy can work by affecting the central nervous system or muscles. Medications sometimes help (hormones, gabapentin, tricyclic antidepressants are a few types) and biofeedback can make a difference. There are other measures to treat the pain as well so don't hesitate to find a good gynecologist, experienced in this problem.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.