Complications post LEEP

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
smarie

Complications post LEEP

Postby smarie » Sun May 24, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm 28 years old and recently underwent a LEEP procedure for CIN 3. My doc called after that pathology report came back and said not to worry, that they got all the abnormal cells. Following doctor's orders, I was fairly inactive for the week after the procedure and there was not much pain after a couple days. Eight days after the LEEP I began bleeding heavily (going through more than one pad in one hour) so I called the doctor and they had me come in right away. The doctor removed some blood clots and cauterized my cervix. He did not give me any local anesthetic and it was an extremely painful and traumatic experience. He said there was likely an infection on the cervix after my LEEP and that caused the bleeding. I am now taking antibiotics for the infection. I'm writing because now I'm worried about the long term effects of this. How will this affect my healing? Will there be scarring? Am I more likely to have a recurrence of the HPV because of this extra trauma to my cervix? I am in a monogamous relationship with my boyfriend of 4 years. We plan on using condoms (as recommended by my doctor) for at least a year until I am free and clear of the HPV infection.

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Complications post LEEP

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 am

Hello,
You should have no long-term problems as a result of the infection. The healing may be slightly delayed because of it, but that is temporary. These things happen at times and with the miracle of antibiotics along with your own immune system, you can heal completely.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”