pain during ovulation

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
kimmie10469

pain during ovulation

Postby kimmie10469 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:09 pm

hi i am 25 years old and have a 3 year old. latley when im ovulatin i been feeling very painful pain in my lower stomach. it happens on both side, im not sure what to do. is this normal?

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: pain during ovulation

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Hello,
About twenty percent of women report pain at the time of ovulation. It is considered normal. Painful ovulation is also called mittelschmerz and some women also report feeling nauseous and experience spotting. Since it usually only lasts about 24 hours, specific treatment is not indicated but you may find relief with a heating pad, rice bag (the kind you microwave) and using ibuprofen or acetaminophen, similar to what you might do for menstrual cramps. If it is very bad, birth controls can suppress ovulation, thereby eliminating the cause of the pain. Of course that may come with its own side effects so you must weight risks and benefits.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”