copper t iud

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
princess58

copper t iud

Postby princess58 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 am

I had an iud inserted on tuesday ,I was so shocked and overwhelmed with the whole ordeal that when my ob-gyn asked if I had any ?'s my mind had gone blank. I wasn't really prepared for the situation but that was totally my fault. I originally wanted the depo but my ob-gyn said that they had stopped using it because it causes bone loss in young woman !? Any way as I was saying I am still pretty scared and I'm not sure when I can start having intercourse with my partner again !? I have very little spotting now and no pain at all.

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: copper t iud

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Hello,
You can have intercourse whenever you want and are comfortable with it. There is no waiting period and it is effective immediately if it's inserted within seven days after the start of your period. Otherwise, you'll need to use a backup form of contraception (such as condoms) for the first seven days after you get your IUD.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”