Can I remove the NuvaRing early and resume Ocella?

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Funny123

Can I remove the NuvaRing early and resume Ocella?

Postby Funny123 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I started the NuvaRing and I have noticed drastic weight gain. I want to take it out (had it in since 5/28) and resume Ocella usage, not using the pills on the dates that I hate the NuvaRing in. Is this acceptable? I have had sexual relations during the time the NuvaRing has been in. Please help.

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Can I remove the NuvaRing early and resume Ocella?

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello,
If you start taking the birth control pill the day following removal you should be fine to just continue your protection that way. This will continue your hormone levels in your body to prevent pregnancy. While no method except abstinence is 100% effective, your risk is no greater as you switch. If you miss a day or more you should use back up birth control for 7 days at the beginning of the pill use.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”