Delaying, not skipping period on yaz

Gynecology questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
austinchurchsearch

Delaying, not skipping period on yaz

Postby austinchurchsearch » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:16 am

I am on yaz, and always take my last active pill on a Tuesday and start a new pack on Sunday. Whenever I take my last active pill on a Tuesday, I start my period on Sunday, the same day I start a new pack. I am scheduled to take my last active pill Tuesday, the 13th, which would mean I'd start my period on Sunday, the 18th. However, I will be on a cruise, and would like to delay my period so that it will start on Tuesday, the 20th. I am not interested in skipping my period completely this month...I just want to delay it by two days. I know i could delay it by taking two more days of active pills (of which I do have extra), but in order for this to still be an effective form of birth control, could I still start the new pack on Sunday, the 18th? So if I only take 2 days of placebo pills, would it still be effective birth control? If not, how should I do it?

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Delaying, not skipping period on yaz

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello,
Yes, it is perfectly fine to delay your period by adjusting the birth control use. You do not need to have a period at all in order to be healthy. Most women just like the reassurance of the withdrawal bleed that they are not pregnant.

You can either shorten the time period of the placebo pills or delay the next start date as well rather than starting on a Sunday. If you decide you want to skip the period altogether, just start the next pack and continue daily. It is entirely up to you.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Gynecology”