A REALLY BAD RASH

General Pediatrics Questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
too_tattooed_fairy

A REALLY BAD RASH

Postby too_tattooed_fairy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:59 pm

HI I AM 21 YEARS OLD AND I BABYSIT MY NEPHEW WHILE HIS DAD IS AT WORK AND HE IS TWO YEARS OLD AND CAME HOME WITH A RASH THAT WAS SO BAD THAT HE WOULD CRY IF I TRIED TO CHANGE HIM AND WIPE IT AND IT WAS SO BAD THAT IT WAS ALMOST BLEEDING. THE MOTHER SAID THAT HE TOOK A NAP AND WOKE UP LIKE THAT. cOULD HE HAVE REALLY WOKEN UP WITH THE BAD OF A RASH AFTER A 30 MIN NAP? I JUST DON'T THINK THAT THEY CHANGED HIS DIAPER AT ALL FOR A DAY OR SOMETHING, BECAUSE IT WAS PRETTY BAD. PLEASE ANSWER THIS. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Diaper rashes can appear fairly rapidly. 30 minutes is a bit fast for severe rashes. Often, the rashes start out mild and not too concerning. Then before you know it they're flared up and severe.

If the rash has small spots at the edges of it, he may have a fungal diaper rash that needs an antifungal cream. If not, it most likely is an irritation diaper rash that are best treated by coating type creams, such as zinc oxide. Keep a thick layer on. Apply with each diaper change. Try to avoid having dirty diapers on for too long. And while the rash is severe you may want to avoid the chemical baby wipes as they can irritate and worsen the rash. Soft cloths work well. Disposable ones without chemical additives can be purchased.

Hope he gets better soon.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Pediatric Topics”