vomiting, diarrhea 6 year old for 11 days

General Pediatrics Questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
briannagirl's mom

vomiting, diarrhea 6 year old for 11 days

Postby briannagirl's mom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:26 am

My 6 year old daughter has had diarrhea and vomiting for the last 11 days. My doctor has taken a blood sample and I have to turn in a stool sample tomarrow, but my husband (and I) are getting very worried. She hasn't held anything that she has managed to keep in her stomach for more than a couple hours down. Its like her stomach isn't even trying to break it down while its there. The diarrhea actually started about 3 days after the vomiting. What could this be? She also had a fever off an on the first few days of getting sick. She sleeps alot and still has dark circles under eyes. She sips on water all day, but she is not urinating a whole lot, very little actually. What should I do or ask my doctor to do, any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:12 pm

Children can become dehydrated very quickly and it sounds like she is. Take her back to the doctor because she may need IV hydration even if they haven't yet figured out the cause.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Pediatric Topics”