10 month old with increasing rash

General Pediatrics Questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.

Should I take her to the ER or not?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Yes, take her to the ER
33%
Yes, take her to the ER
33%
Yes, take her to the ER
33%
No, do not take her to the ER
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

kendrasmommy1218

10 month old with increasing rash

Postby kendrasmommy1218 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi, my daughter is 10 months old and late this morning we noticed she had a rash on her legs and a little on her stomache. It is red and blotchy. Anyhow, what we thought had caused it was a halloween costume but we took her out of it as soon as we noticed it but it is now 9:10 at night and the rash has gotten worse. The other thing that is different is that all last week she had bronchitis so she was on amoxicillin. we stopped giving her that medicine yesterday evening and she hasn't received it all day and I was wondering it that could be the cause. She does not seem irritated by it but it has spread over her back, stomache, and her face. it is almost completely covering her legs up untill the diaper area. i called her doctor and they said to wait 24 hours and if it hasn't cleared to take her to the ER or call and make an appt but I wanted a second opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read my question and I hope to hear from you soon.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:04 am

Hi Kendrasmommy1218,

There are a few possibilities. I am a little suspicious that this may actually be a rash from the amoxicillin. If this is what is going on it isn't an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin and it is ok for her to have it in the future. Amoxicillin can react with some viruses to cause a pink rash that quickly spreads to involve much of the body. It may be itchy but generally is not. It can take several days to resolve.

Many viruses can also cause similar rashes on their own without the amoxicillin.

If the rash is not improving, or if she begins to have other symptoms that are concerning to you she should see her doctor.

Best wishes.

Return to “Pediatric Topics”