Rash on one leg for several months

General Pediatrics Questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
talk2mel

Rash on one leg for several months

Postby talk2mel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm

My 4 year old daughter has had a rash on her right leg for about 2 months. It wasn't irritating to her at first, but has become so in the past month or so. We have tried many things, more/less frequent baths, hydrocortisone creams, antifungal lotions, moisturizing lotions, lack of bubble bath, scent free soaps, etc. It was contained to just below the knee, but has now spread to include the whole leg. She has not had any fevers in the past 6 months, we never saw a ring like in ringworm cases, it's not excessively dry like in exczema, and it doesn't seem to have crusted over like you'd expect in a varicella case. She has not been in any surgeries, has not been on any medications, and nobody else in contact with her has had any rashes. Any ideas?

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:30 am

Hi Talk2mel,

Unfortunately, diagnosis of rashes really is very much a visual thing. Based on what you are describing, this may be a resistant eczema. It may also be a contact dermatitis (although this would be unusual to just react on one leg).

Beyond this I can't really think of what else it may be without being able to see it.

I would recommend she see her doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Return to “Pediatric Topics”