Nursing and calories needed

General Pediatrics Questions

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
stefaniespinosa

Nursing and calories needed

Postby stefaniespinosa » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 am

I am currently in a nutrition class that requires me to come up with a realistic health plan. It is based off of the pyramid chart and it recommends a 2200 calorie diet. This is based off of my information as follows: 27years, 170lbs, female and I am 6 feet tall. It does not allow me to put in that I am nursing. How many more calories should I add on with nursing as a consideration?

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: Nursing and calories needed

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Hello,
500 calories is required but this is based on a diet that is not too high in calories to begin with so if you calculate your needs based on your body type and basal metabolic rate (what is needed just to breathe and live) along with your energy expenditure, then add 500 calories for breastfeeding you would be about right.

But, if you are already eating too much, you obviously would not need to add this many. Most non-dieting Americans are already getting enough that they don't necessarily need to add extra calories.

Good luck with your project and congratulations on your decision to do what's best for your baby. Please continue to breastfeed at least to the child's first birthday and beyond for as long as you both desire.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Pediatric Topics”