Social Anxiety?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:16 am

Social Anxiety?

Postby chickychick963 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:41 am

I am curious if I have a problem and if there is even anything that can be done. I am a sophomore in college and i have never felt so alone and distant before in my life. I've always been some what shy but it seems ever since high school it's gotten worse and worse. Over the past few years I have started to block people out of my life. People including my best friend, all of my old friends from high school, I even feel uncomfortable around my own brother! I didn't go to far away from home for college, I even knew some people that were attending the same school...I never kept in touch and therefore are not really friends anymore. I feel scared to call someone to hang out. As far as meeting new scares the crap out of me. I did not make any friends in my classes over the past year because I keep to myself. If I am invited to go to a party I don't go because I'm scared that I won't know anyone...if I do get up enough nerves to go it turns into a mess. I get there and I don't know anyone...I feel very uncomfortable and it's just not a normal feeling. I never used to be like this, I never use to block out my existing friends. I have been having some rough times lately and I realized I do not have one person that I can go to with my problems and that is a really big problem. I am female, 19 years old, never had any serious medical issues. I'm worried that if I go to a doctor that they are just going to tell me that I'm shy and I will grow out of it. Will they help me? I'm starting to feel like this is out of my hands..

User avatar
Debbie Miller, RN
Posts: 4746
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 pm
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:40 pm

I think you should get an appointment with a behavioral health therapist or psychiatrist. This is not something you are imagining and it sounds like you will not be able to pull out of it without some help. You may have a chemical imbalance that could be helped with medication. A therapist would not be able to prescribe, so you would also need to see a doctor who treats psych disorders. Some family practice doctors have become quite good at working with this type of problem.

If you have health insurance, you could contact them for a referral, or you can check with your local mental health agency or (National Alliance on Mental Illness). There may be a support group in your area where you could meet with others who struggle with such things. It can be difficult to take the first step to getting there but you will be surprised how helpful it can be to mingle with others who also struggle.

Best wishes
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Psychiatric Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.