detoxing at home

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
darknhnsm

detoxing at home

Postby darknhnsm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I am about to detox at home from opiates and am afraid and anxious. I don't know what I can do to help myself or relieve symptoms when they come on. I don't know how long it will take until I begin to feel better (I have to go out of town in 7 days and I'm afraid I won't feel well enough) My addiction is moderate and it's lasted for about 9 mos now. I have no insurance or access to medical attention or prescriptions so this will be cold turkey. I guess my main question is will I be able to function 7 days from now? And the next would be what can i do to ease the discomfort?

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: detoxing at home

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:16 pm

Hello,
I do not have the answers you seek but could recommend an online resource designed to help. http://www.soberrecovery.com/ Your chances of success on your own are slim but with some support system you improve the odds and can succeed. Congratulations on your desire to stop the use before it gets worse and ruins your life. You might also call your local mental health agencies, community health centers, local health departments or help lines that might be available in your community for people such as yourself. These agencies might have funding for substance abuse programs. It is definitely worth a try. Look in government pages of the directory, specifically for your local departments.

Good luck.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Psychiatric Topics”