I get large surges of fear when thinking of going out

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
AlexB1001

I get large surges of fear when thinking of going out

Postby AlexB1001 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:31 am

Recently I have developed a pretty nasty problem, which is the quick and hefty surges of fear/dread I experience when I know I'm about to go out or am told I am going out later.

This all started as a product from my acid reflux - before it was diagnosed, as I didn't know what it was, I would dread going out in the evening because I would know there would always be a 50% chance I'd experience nausea so bad I'd have to return home.

However, especially as now I know how to control my acid reflux, I still (it's actually getting worse) get throbs of panic when I know I have to go out. It's not that I don't have a good time when I do - in fact I usually enjoy myself quite a lot when I do, but it's the simple thought of "going out" which sends my stomach into a writhing mass of fear. The worst is when I have lots of events planned in the day - going out in the morning, going out in the evening - when I know there's a lot which I have to do I actively get nauseous.

This fear is more common when thinking about going out with friends, rather than family, surprisingly.

Please help me - my social life is being ruined because of the fact I lived in fear of my acid reflux, and now I'm living in fear because of this!

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: I get large surges of fear when thinking of going out

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Hello,
Psychotherapy can help! Many times these irrational fears, often called phobias, begin as justified reasons but they get out of control. See a therapist who can help you work through your fears. You may even benefit from medications for the anxiety. Don't become a hermit when there is help available and your chances of success are great.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Psychiatric Topics”