How do I stop Celexa ?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
ginoyann

How do I stop Celexa ?

Postby ginoyann » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello.
My name is Gino. I Have been taking 20 mg of Celexa for the last 8 months because
of a depression. I must say that celexa cured my depression completely. I
wanted to stop taking 3 weeks ago, so I tried to gradually stop it. I started going down to 10 mg for 9 days, then to 5 mg for 5 days. It has now been 4 days that I don't
take them anymore, and yesterday I started to feel very dizzy and I had a big
headache. When I woke up this morning, and even later during the day I felt the same. Thinking that it was probably because I didn't stop them
properly, I decided to take 10 mg of celexa today. I wanted to ask my doctor, but he's
on vacation. Can someone help me with this question ? What is the best way to stop taking celexa when the person was taking 20 mg for 8 months ?

Gino

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Re: How do I stop Celexa ?

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 am

Hello,
Ideally, coming off an antidepressant is best accomplished gradually - weaning by taking half dosage for a couple of weeks before eliminating it completely so slow and easy is the trick here.

I hope your decision is in conjunction with your doctor because we don't want you to have a rebound depression. You are on the prescription for a reason and that has not necessarily gone away, even though you may be feeling well - it could be because of the medication and going without it can result in a return of symptoms with suicide risk so this should not be done lightly.

Be sure to be in touch with your doctor on his/her return.

Best wishes.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

ginoyann

Re: How do I stop Celexa ?

Postby ginoyann » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you Debbie.
I will also ask my doctor if he thinks I can stop them.

best wishes

Return to “Psychiatric Topics”