panic attacks

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 pm
Gender: Female

panic attacks

Postby abigail12883 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 pm

hi, my name is abby, im 13 and i have been having constant panic attacks, and have had some trouble breathing, and ive been passing out. i havent old my family, and im not quite sure to do. please help.

abigail smith

Faye Lang, RN, MSW
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:01 pm
Gender: Female
Location: California

Re: panic attacks

Postby Faye Lang, RN, MSW » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 am

Hi abigail12883,

A panic attack has many symptoms, like a pounding heart, sweating, trembling, feeling like you're smothering, a choking sensation, chest pain or pressure, nausea, dizziness, feelings of unreality, fear of losing control or going crazy, fear of dying, tingling sensations in arms and legs, and chills or hot flashes. Panic attacks can be unexpected, or they can be in response to a specific type of situation (for example, seeing a snake, speaking in public, or parental arguments). Although the panic attack itself has many possible symptoms, the panic attack IS a symptom. Panic attacks are one of the symptoms of many different types of anxiety disorders, from agoraphobia and panic disorder to a specific one of the anxiety diagnoses or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Post-traumatic stress disorder also has panic attacks as a symptom. A panic attack that results in the person passing out is serious, and should not be ignored. It is beyond the point of relaxation exercises as the sole treatment. It is a real symptom, and should be respected as such. Because of your age, you will have to involve your parents so that you can receive medical help to overcome the condition that is contributing to the panic attacks, whatever that condition might be. It would be a good idea to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, as they are experts in dealing with such disorders. Please feel free to use this information in any way needed to help you tell your parents about this situation.

Good luck to you, Abigail. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.
Faye, RN, MSW

Return to “Psychiatric Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.