Burning Sensations

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
thester6474

Burning Sensations

Postby thester6474 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Hi, I am a 24 year old bi-racial female (black &white) with severe burning sensations throughout the entirety of my body. I first started experiencing problems in January with my right leg going numb/sleep everyday for hours at the time. In mid January, i noticed that my right leg went numb and stayed that way for about 2 or 3 weeks. Eventually it subsided. However, in late february it started again, and this time it was my entire right side. I went to my GP, and he stuck me with the tips of 2 q-tips, one was sharp and the other one smooth. He said on my right side I got each test wrong. I was unable to distinguish between the sticks on the right side, but could on my left. He immediately referred me to a neurologist asking if I had any relatives with MS or Lupus. My symptoms soon worsened. My right side began to have extreme burning sensations. I also began to have problems with my grip, memory, word recall, blurred vision, severe headaches, trouble with concentration, fatigue, extremely painful menstuation lasting 7 to 8 days, and nausea. After months of going to a neurologist he refers me to a rheumatologist stating that my illness was out of his field of study. My last MRI states I have I have mild focal kyphosis of the cervical spine, mild loss of intervertebral disc signal intensity suggesting mild early degenerative disc desiccation, mild central canal stenosis secondary to mild annular bulging. I also have been diagnosed with osteopenia and scoliosis. He has started me on B-12 injections stating my B-12 levels were extremely low. Could this be a possible rheumatic or neurological disease. I have an appointment with a rheumatologist, but it is not until October 23rd. We do not have many of them in southeast Georgia. I also have started seeing a second neurologist, which has an brain MRI scheduled for this friday afternoon stating that MS is his main concern. If this is a possible rheumatic condition, which one(s) does it fit? I really need some help.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:19 pm

I would be most concerned about MS as well. I would agree with getting the brain MRI. Off hand I can't think of a rheumatic disease that would cause your symptoms but this is a complex field and new discoveries are constantly being made.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Rheumatology Topics”