Dull throbbing pain in upper thigh

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 10:17 pm
Gender: Male

Dull throbbing pain in upper thigh

Postby gwh » Sun May 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Hello there. I am a 26-year-old male who has been experiencing a dull throbbing pain in my upper thigh for a few days now.

The pain is not intense or shooting, but rather a gradual throb that lasts about three or four seconds each time.

It's always in the same spot, which is at the very top of my inner right thigh.

The area the pain is coming from feels like it would be about the size of a dime, then radiates to the size of a quarter before quickly fading away.

This has been happening intermittently for a few days now. Sometimes it happens every 20 minutes or so, other times it can be as frequent as every 3 or four minutes.

Like I said, it is not a terrible pain, but it's been happening for long enough that I'm wondering what it might be. To give you an idea of my health, I am about 6'3, 230 lbs, and a smoker. I eat relatively well (I'm no saint though), and haven't been very physically active since I took a desk job several years ago.

If any one can give me an idea of what might cause this throb in my thigh I would greatly appreciate it. Is this something that exercise might take care of (I'm hoping to get a gym membership in the next few weeks), or could it be a sign of something more serious that I shouldn't shrug off?

Thanks kindly for your help!

User avatar
Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant
Posts: 1164
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 am
Gender: Male

Re: Dull throbbing pain in upper thigh

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Sun May 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Although a thorough history and physical from a physician is the best way to accurately diagnose this problem, it does sound like it may be in the quadricep muscle and need heating pad and stretching as well as a walking program.

Understand also that thigh pain can be referred from the back, hip or knee.

You may start with some heat or cold modalities, NSAIDS, and light exercise and see how it does.
If it worsens or persists, then see your physician.

Take care.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Rheumatology Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.