Muscle Spasms - Just had Ablation - Heart Related???

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
knordby

Muscle Spasms - Just had Ablation - Heart Related???

Postby knordby » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:30 pm

I am 25yr old female and just had an ablation done for SVT 3 months ago. Well, over the last 2 months I've been experiencing muscle spasms in my legs and left shoulder. I called my cardiologist a month ago and he advised they weren't heart related (probably related to stress) and they would go away, but they haven't. I'm not experiencing much pain, just a little in my left shoulder, but nothing bad. I'm concerned that these muscle spasms have something to do with my heart. If not is it possible that I am deficient in some sort of vitamin/mineral?

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Safaa Mahmoud » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:05 pm

Hello,

It would have bean easier if you could inform us more about the character of this pain, like the onset, the course, if it is related to certain movement or at rest, what aggrevates, what help alleviate.

- In most of the cases strain of the back muscles and ligaments, is the primary cause. This usually results from wrong or heavy lifting, or following a sudden improper movement or wrong posture.

Muscle spasm alone can cause the pain which can be an unidentified cause.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial. If no improvement, other causes like arthritis should be investigated.

- In your condition if the pain is related to activity and it stops you from working, I would consider the exclusion of Intermittent claudication and vascular causes, a possible complication of the Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation.
This answer does not substitute for direct medical consultation.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud.
MB BCh, MSc Internal Medicine. MD Medical Oncology.
PhD Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Science.

Return to “Rheumatology Topics”