numbness in hand/feet/blood rushing to brain/passing out

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
andreashields

numbness in hand/feet/blood rushing to brain/passing out

Postby andreashields » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:36 pm

my 11 year old has had 2 episodes where he bent his finger very hard by accident and then a few days later bumped into a wall and hit his little toe and both times passed out on the floor and complaint that he felt the blood rushing to his head before this happening. he is not a faker and dosent go around telling lies and i just don't know what could be causing this. he was born developmental delayed and has some speech problems since birth. he was diagnosed pervasive developmental at 2 years old. could this be related. he is also asthmatic and takes, cingulair, nasonex, claritin and albuterol daily. Thank you

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:14 am

If both episodes were triggered by pain I suspect that your son has a very strong vagal response to pain. It is similar to when people see something that makes them "queasy" and pass out.

The pain triggers a nerve response that causes the blood vessels to dilate decreasing blood flow to the head leading to the fainting episode. These episodes resolve spontaneously and are generally not dangerous. I say generally because sometimes the victim will get injured from the fall, etc.

Care should also be taken to make sure that your son is supervised while swimming, etc. where a fainting episode could be life-threatening.

If the episodes are becoming more frequent I would recommend that you discuss this with your pediatrician as there may be some medications that can help.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Neurology Topics”