unsure of the next step in care

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
elemental

unsure of the next step in care

Postby elemental » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:17 pm

for over four years my 32 year old girlfriend has been experiencing these symptoms: dizziness, numbness that started on the right side of her face and now extends through the entire right half of her body, expressive aphasia (at times), disorientation, problems with movement. she had an issue where i took her to the er where she was having visual problems. initial diagnosis was absence seizures and she was put on depakote. she hated it but the dr kept her on for over a year. his superior said he was wrong and stepped her off. we moved to a different state. new neurologist only addressed the migraines she had since she was young and did nothing of the other symptoms. put her on topamax. she had a horrible experience and asked to be taken off. he told her just to stop she asked to be stepped off he told her no, just stop taking it youll be fine. since then she has had extreme anxiety and depression problems. she has extensive family history of rhuematoid arthritis and diabetes. she has polymorphous light eruption, swollen & painful joints and has also had problems with scleritis. i'm not sure what the next step should be in getting a diagnosis and treatment.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi Elemental,

I would recommend your girlfriend be evaluated by a neurologist in your new area. These symptoms may be due to complex migraines, seizures or possibly an issue with poor oxygenation of the brain (this is pretty unlikely).

She may need some further testing such as an EEG.

Best wishes.

Return to “Neurology Topics”