Diagnosed with parkinsons today

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
JKF

Diagnosed with parkinsons today

Postby JKF » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Today my doctor told me I have Paarkinsons disease. I also have essential tremor and dystonia for which I take botox shots. I am not quite sure how to feel. What can I expect. I am 60 years old am kind of in shock. I guess I need some words of encouragement. Thank you. JKF

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Re: Diagnosed with parkinsons today

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi JKF,

Although there is no cure for parkinsons at this point, there are some very good treatments now. Often, symptoms can be controlled by medications. In severe cases there are more aggressive treatments that can be pursued including surgical intervention.

Continued follow up with your neurologist is important. This disease does tend to be progressive but the key is to not let it define you. With treatment, many people can continue to live healthy, happy lives.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Neurology Topics”