post-concussion symptom

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
jamielynn242

post-concussion symptom

Postby jamielynn242 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Hello-

I am a 20 yo female who suffered a concussion a week ago. Being my 3rd one in 5 months, it took me a little longer to recover and I was in the ICU for 3 days because I was in and out of consciousness. The CT scan was normal and I seem to be doing fine since being home. This morning I woke up and there was blood coming from my right ear. It only bled for a few minutes and then stopped. Twice more throughout the day it bled again for a brief period and then stopped. I don't have any pain or hearing loss. I was wondering if this could possibly be something related to my concussion and if it's something I should be concerned about. I really don't want to go back to the doctor so I was hoping to get an opinion beforehand. Thanks so much!
-Jamie

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Re: post-concussion symptom

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello Jamie,

After a week it is unlikely that this bleeding is related to your concussion. It may be that you have a small scratch in your ear canal that is bleeding.

If this continues I would recommend you see your doctor to have this checked out. While it is unlikely, there is a small possibility this bleeding may be from a fracture sustained when you had the head trauma. Your doctor can help determine if this is the case.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Neurology Topics”