Delayed touch and accompanied with Static. Is this a problem

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
nick382

Delayed touch and accompanied with Static. Is this a problem

Postby nick382 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:51 pm

I am noticing a delay to my sensation of touch, and then the actual sensation is accompanied with "static." Its been getting progressively worse over the last couple weeks, and I'm beginning to feel like i don't have a sense of touch. It used to be on and off every couple of days... That was about a month ago. I've been with this sensation now for about two weeks. Its quite frustrating to forget I'm holding something because i can't feel its there. I'm 17 years old and I don't think I've had a stroke. But anything is possible i suppose. I have hallucinated in the past, I've even documented what I've seen. I've read about the possibilities of neurological conditions that could cause numbness. However, my sensation isn't numbness, it only occurs when I am touching something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Plamondon PA-C
Physician Assistant

Re: Delayed touch and accompanied with Static. Is this a problem

Postby Tom Plamondon PA-C » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Hello,
There are a host of disorders which can cause numbness so the task will be to answer a series of questions to rule out certain disorders.
For example:
    any excessive peeing or thirst (diabetes)
    any slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, facial weakness (stroke or mini stroke)
    any excessive alcohol use
    any repetitive use of the hands or need to shake the hands to eliminate numbness (carpal tunnel syndrome).

These are just a few questions that you should review with your family physician.

Take care.
Tom Plamondon PA-C, PT

Return to “Neurology Topics”