itchy red bumps in pubic area

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
christabeltilly

itchy red bumps in pubic area

Postby christabeltilly » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:20 am

I am a female in early 30`s,last week I had itchy red bumps looked like bites in pubic area,this week it has all gone away.What could it of been?I have used a bikini hair removal cream around the area the week before,could it of been an allergic reaction?
Also every month just before my period comes my pubic hair is really itchy and I can see white bits/flakes in it.What could this be?The itchiness stops when my period comes. Please help!

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Christabeltilly,

There are a few possiblities for the red bumps. Given your previous bikini wax, it may have been a contact irritation (similar to razor burn). It may also have been some ingrown hair that subsequently resolved.

The itching may be due to a condition called seborrheic dermatitis or may simply be a reaction of your skin to the changing levels of hormones during your cycle. I'm not sure what to recommend to help this. You may want to try using a very mild soap such as Dove.

Best wishes.

Return to “Dermatology Topics”