Severe fungal infection in the groin

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:44 pm

Severe fungal infection in the groin

Postby ccaroo » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:03 pm

I have what I feel like, and what the doctor said he thouoght is to be a fungal infection in my groin. NOTHING I have tried will get rid of it, i have tried creams such as tinactin,lotrimin,lamisil. i have used them for 4 weeks even when it said 2 with no results. Even oral stuff from the doctor ketocanazole? Did not work. I am terribly embarrased to keep going to doctors, mainly because it seems like you have to tell 15 people including female nurses/assistants what you are there for. I keep powder on the area to keep it very dry. It itches terribly and i usually scratch it till it bleeds. My entire groin area is affected, scrotum and penis, with rash down the inside of one thigh, not the other one. From what I read jock itch doesn't normally affect the penis and scrotum. I am at my wits end with this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor
Posts: 4069
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 pm

Re: Severe fungal infection in the groin

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi Ccaroo,

The medications you have tried are all very appropriate for fungal infections. For an oral medicine, often fluconazole is a bit better, but if taken correctly ketoconazole should also be effective. Given that your rash is not getting better on these medicines I am wondering if your rash really is a fungal infection. Jock itch can affect the penile shaft and scrotum. Other possibilities include a contact dermatitis or even a bacterial skin infection.

I would suggest that you see a dermatologist if possible. Doing a skin scraping and culture to try to grow the yeast may also be helpful. If the fungus can be cultured antifungal medication sensitivities can be determined to be sure you are getting an appropriate medicine to treat the infection.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Dermatology Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright © 2001-2016 Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.