Moles on 3 of my children, are they dangerous?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
sashababycherry

Moles on 3 of my children, are they dangerous?

Postby sashababycherry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:10 am

I have four children, three are male. All my boys have been born with moles, all on their torsos. My youngest, who is 20 months old was born with a coin sized dark brown mole on his stomach. His doctor doesn't seem too concerned about it, but he has since got two more moles on his torso.

My children have never had sunburn or been in the sun for long periods (we live in Scotland), and have normal skin.

I have extrememly sensitive skin, and will burn and blister unless I wear factor 50+ sun block even in the spring. I am covered in moles, but this is due to sun burn many times when I was younger. My doctor checks my moles regularly for changes.

My question is, are my sons' moles as dangerous as mine, and should my doctor be checking them more often? Have I passed these to them, or is it just 'luck'?

Dr.M.jagesh kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Moles on 3 of my children, are they dangerous?

Postby Dr.M.jagesh kamath » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

Hello,Most congenital or aquired moles in childhood are harmless except certain types which need scrutiny.
A giant congenital nevus with a diameter of 20cm and more certainly needs scruiny with a malignancy potential of about 5%.
If there is a family history of atypical nevi in several family members with atleast one member with melanoma require close survellance.
Assymetry,Border irregularity,Colour variation,Diameter larger than about 7 mm,and a rapidly changing mole need dermatologist refferal.
With these in mind, you need not worry about moles which are quite common in childhood.
Best wishes.
Dr.M.Jagesh kamath MBBS. Dvd Consultant dermatologist

Return to “Dermatology Topics”