Heart Palpations/episodes of heart racing

Chest pain, dyspnea (shortness of breath)

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
WJ85

Heart Palpations/episodes of heart racing

Postby WJ85 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:17 pm

For about the past three months I've been experiencing episodes of my heart racing (and beating very hard) they are very short...maybe just 4 or 5 seconds time. I've been reading on here about others experience and it does sound like mine. When it happens it beats so hard you can visibly just see it... Heres a few facts cause I read also some (maybe) causes for this... I drink a cup of coffee bout once a day and maybe three out seven days a week I'll drink 2 cups (doesn't sound excessive but maybe worth mentioning), I am a first year nursing student and work at a hospital as a nurse assistant (and both are stressful) and 22 years old female on no medications. But anytime I have an episode is when Im just sitting, very calm and then all of a sudden I can feel it just pounding. Once this past summer I was sitting in class and suddenly felt incredible pain (not the racing but just pain) in my chest and it was over in just a few seconds, I haven't felt the pain though since then. I'm adopted so I have no idea if heart problems/disease runs in my family. Again I did get some answers on here about the caffeine and stress factors but would still like a response to mine specifically. thanks for taking the time

Dr. Tamer Fouad
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Tamer Fouad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi there,

Palpatations can result from a change in rate, rhythm or volume of a person's pulse. Rhythm problems dominate the list of causes for this complaint. Some abnormal rhythms are harmless; however, more serious causes such as thyrotoxicosis and pheochromocytoma need to be ruled out.

While alcohol, exercise, stress and caffeine are specific triggers for arrhythmias, other causes need to be excluded.

I would strongly recommend you undergo an evaluation. Your doctor may recommend an EKG depending on his examination.

Good luck and keep this thread updated!
Dr. Tamer Fouad, MD
MB, BCh, MSc Internal Medicine.
Consultant of Hematology - Oncology.

Return to “Cardiology Symptoms”