Shortness of breath and chest pains

Chest pain, dyspnea (shortness of breath)

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
worried female

Shortness of breath and chest pains

Postby worried female » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:36 am

Hi,
I am a worried female about her fiance. He has been having episodes of of shortness of breath and chest pains at the same time, and it gets scary at times. Due to the fact that it can get severe at times. He is a 24 year old man in perfect health. He also has had all kinds of test ran on him also and they came back good. I was wondering what this could be a result of.

Please help
Worried female

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar
Medical Doctor

Re: Shortness of breath and chest pains

Postby Dr. Yasser Mokhtar » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:49 pm

Dear worried female,

Being a 24 year old male in perfect health without any risk factors for coronary disease makes his probability of this chest pain being due to coronary disease low.

Please, have your fiance have an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to rule out one of the very common causes of the chest pain in the young which mitral valve prolapse. Also, have him an x-ray of the neck to rule out cervical spine problems.

If all the tests come back negative, even though i don't like to pin symptoms on panic attacks, sometimes panic attacks cause these symptoms and they have to be considered.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

Return to “Cardiology Symptoms”