signs of insuloma?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
jen77

signs of insuloma?

Postby jen77 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Please can you tell me what the signs and symptoms of an insuloma etc are,i have severe hypoglycemia and this is something that has been mentioned to me?

Dr. A. Rajput
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. A. Rajput » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:20 am

Insulinoma is a pancreatic B-cell tumor and it usually causes hypoglycemia. 90% of these tumors
are single and benign.

Some other symptoms include blurred vision, headache, feelings of detachment, slurred speech, and weakness. Symptoms tend to occur in the early morning or late afternoon or after fasting or exercise.

Diagnosis is made by finding an inappropriately high serum insulin level when glucose is low.

CT scan, ultrasound, and arteriography may also be useful in detecting the tumor.

Insulinoma is managed by surgery, diet, and medical therapy.

Hope this helps.

ps - Pancreas is a gland which is situated just below stomach near the duodenum. Its main role is to produce insulin which regulates (brings down) the sugar levels in blood. So roughly, Insulinoma could be considered as opposite to Diabetes type I, where there is less insulin production due to destruction of beta cells.
Dr. A. Rajput
MB BS, MD, C. Diabetology, Dip. Diabetology
Physician and Diabetologist

Return to “Endocrinology Topics”