Thyroid test wrong?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
spencersmummy

Thyroid test wrong?

Postby spencersmummy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:04 pm

I have been trying to loose weight I have lost over 60 pounds but for the last year I found it impossible to loose any weight I am at 174 and Iam 5'9". I exercise 3-4 times a week 30-45 min. I do weight lifting some, and watch what I eat, 1600 calrories some times less if I don't get in exercising. I have tried as little as 1200 calrories no results.

My doctor suggested I have a blood test for a thyroid problem and it came out they said I was within normal range. I found out that the birth control patch I am on can mess with the testing, My doctor didn't take this into consideration should I go off the patch and be retested or am I just grasping at straws.

[b]Thank you very much for your time[/b]

Katrina

Dr. Russell M
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Russell M » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:18 am

Hi!

Sorry for the late response. I would not worry regarding the patch affecting your thyroid functions significantly. But if you find you are having other symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, do consult your doctor again.

bill
To cure sometimes, to care often, to comfort always...

nicok13

birth control patch and thyroid dysfunction?

Postby nicok13 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:20 pm

I, too, have had complications with the birth control patch and weight gain, with some differences. First of all, I went off the patch in December 2004. Since then (today, July 25, 2005), I have gained 25 lbs. I went from a slender 140 lbs (at 5'10") and now weigh 165 lbs (which is still considered normal, but is not my normal weight). I exercise 5-6 times/week, run 30 minutes daily, strength train, and I am eating less and less. I eat no white sugar or flour, don't drink alcohol or soda, and eat 5-6 servings of fruit and vegetables a day with little results. My weight is centered entirely in my stomach, buttocks, and thighs. I am tired a lot, my sexual libido has decreased, and for the first time in my life, I have random, intense weight gain. I have a girlfriend who said the exact same thing happened to her and that her friend (an M.D. in NYC) said the patch had probably messed with her thyroid. So, I went to the doctor last week and she did some bloodwork, testing for thyroid, testosterone levels, estrogen levels, etc. I am still waiting for the results and I am worried that my doctor will find my test results to be normal. What then? Am I to assume my body will regulate itself? Am I to attempt some crazy diet or try supplements I have seen on the web? I am truly at my wits end and I wonder how many women out there are experiencing similar reactions??
Thank you, thank you to each and all!
Nico

Return to “Endocrinology Topics”