Open prestatectomy Or TURP?

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
walter00

Open prestatectomy Or TURP?

Postby walter00 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:51 am

I'm 68
I had removing stones surgery from bladder 3 years ago
then stones came back.
Doctors told me that I have BPH case whitch causes stones coming back. And I should remove the prostate. Some doctors recommended An open surgery to remove the stones and the prostate togather in one surgery. Oher doctors recommended to have two operations.
First one to remove stones.
Then removing the prostate bay laser surgery.
is the open surgery safe,or to have two separate operations is better?

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:45 pm

HI Walter00,

In general, when choosing between a TURP or open prostatectomy most physicians recommend TURP.

However, with stones that need to be removed the situation is a little different. I am not able to recommend to you which of the two options would be better because there are many factors involved. 2 surgeries means also 2 anesthesia exposures and 2 post operative recovery times. However, having 2 surgeries at one time generally is a more complicated procedure.

I would recommend you talk with your surgeon to go over both options in detail. This way you will have all the facts and can make an informed decision.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Surgery Topics”