Glass piece under nail.

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
mailmegv

Glass piece under nail.

Postby mailmegv » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:35 am

A small piece of glass from an antibiotic bottle which broke went into the skin below my thumbnail and it is so small that i cannot even see it. And it hurts a lot. What should i do?

Dr.M.Aroon kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: Glass piece under nail.

Postby Dr.M.Aroon kamath » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:49 am

Hi,
Not all glass pieces are visible in plain X-ray films. The lead content in the glass determins this. Higher the lead content, more is the radio-opacity. Glass from vials and ampoules may not show up on plain films.

As you seem to have pain, it is probable that the foreign body is still in situ.I presume you had shown to a doctor and updated your tetanus immunity status.You have not mentioned when this injury happened.If it is very recent,under supervision,one may decide on a wait and watch policy under antibiotic cover.If the pain persists, a surgical exploration may be warrented.
Best wishes!
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

Return to “Surgery Topics”