Low WBC results with symptoms

Non-malignant hematology topics. For Leukemias and lymphomas please use the Oncology (Cancer) Forums.

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
araya06

Low WBC results with symptoms

Postby araya06 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:35 pm

Hello,

I am a 28 year old female and have had swelling in my throat near where I swallow for about 2 months. I have been given steriods which didn't work and then finally had an ENT scope my throat. His original thought was that I had an infection or ate something that scratched my throat. After the catscan he dertermined that I should have throat surgery.

The results were:

Right Piriform : Benign vocal cord polyp L

Left tongue base : Benign squamous epithelial mucosa with reactive lymphoid hyperlasia consistent with lingual tonsil. H

He then shared my blood results:

WBC 2.8L
Neutrophils 48.4L
Lymphocytes 44.2 H
MCV 31.8 H
MCH 15.2 H

I have had a negative ANA panel, HIV, Scroggins and rheumatoid arthritis test. I don't know where to go from here. I have soreness in my kidney area and I still have the throat swelling. I have lost 20 pounds since 06/08/07 and I am not sure I should return to my teaching job. My whole life is on hold and nobody has been able to diagnose me. I am planning on visiting a hematologist but am not sure if that is the appropriate next step.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:19 am

Hello Araya06,

I am suspecting that your ENT doctor wants to do surgery to remove the polyp. Depending on the size of the polyp or the lingular tonsil these could give you a full sensation in the throat.

Your WBC count may or, more likely, may not be related to your throat issue. Your WBC's are really only slightly low. If this is the first time they were low I would recommend that you repeat the test in 3-4 weeks to see if they have resolved. Even though they are techically outside the normal range, your neutrophils and lymphocytes really are still within the normal range. The MCV must be in a different set of units than I am used to since normal for me is usually 70-90. I suspect that both the MCV and MCH are only slightly off as well.

I would recommend you have your thyroid levels tested if you have not had this done. Hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss.

If you are having any GI type symptoms I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist for an evaluation given your weight loss.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Hematology Topics”