Alcoholic Hepatitis

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
wow

Alcoholic Hepatitis

Postby wow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:52 pm

My father was diagnosed with this, should I have my family get a vaccination shot for Hepatitis, before visiting him at the hopital.

Thanks
Mrs. wow

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Safaa Mahmoud » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:23 pm

Hello,

Medications, toxins, alcohol cause noninfectious hepatitis, these are not transmitted to others.

In the title of your subject you mentioned that it is alcoholic induced hepatitis, which is not infectious and no need to worry about disease transmission.

Infectious etiologies include:viral hepatitis with HAV, HBV, and HCV. They cause more than 90% of cases of acute viral hepatitis

HAV infection usually occurs via the fecal-oral route
HBV transmit ed; parenterally IV injections or struments used for invasive techniques, and sexually,
If mucous membrane exposed to infectious body fluids like Saliva, serum, and semen infection can occur
HCV can be transmitted parenterally; IV injections or instruments used for invasive techniques, and sexually.

If he has viral hepatitis, It is very important for close contacts to avoid contact with the patient discharge contaminated staff.

Best regards,
This answer does not substitute for direct medical consultation.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud.
MB BCh, MSc Internal Medicine. MD Medical Oncology.
PhD Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Science.

Return to “Liver Diseases”