Thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets)

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
Mutant1981

Thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets)

Postby Mutant1981 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:43 am

My dad (44) has recently been diagnosed with this about month an a half ago. He is a heavy drinker and they said this, plus his liver can't really metabolize much anymore. He sais to me he feels fine and he's working as usual. If he keeps drinking even a little would this cause serious more damage even before he's 50? He drinks hard liquor, tequila some beer but not much. I just don't see a good future if he doesn't stop. They did say no Cirrhosis is present at this time.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:23 am

Hi Mutant1981,

This is, unfortunately, a bit of a complicated question to answer. This really all depends on the degree of damage already done and the amount of alcohol ingested.

In general, if there is already damage from alcohol to the liver, continued alcohol ingestion is only going to cause more damage.

I would recommend he talk with his doctor about the severity of the liver issue and his risk of continued drinking.

Best wishes.

Return to “Liver Diseases”