Upper Right Chest Pain & Swollen Lymph Node

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
yynawt1

Upper Right Chest Pain & Swollen Lymph Node

Postby yynawt1 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:27 am

I am a 39 year old active and fit male (training for triathlons). About 3 days ago I began to notice some pain in my upper right chest when taking a deep breaths. It has persisted. I also noticed that my lymph node in my neck (right side just below my jaw bone) is quite swollen. This also has persisted for the past 3 days. Otherwise feel healthy (ran 10 miles this morning), but feeling a bit worse in the upper right chest tonight. Felt a little nauseus this evening, but may have been due to a high fat meal (my reward for my run today). Any suggestions or ideas on what this may be is appreciated.

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Your symptoms are very consistent with a condition called pleurisy. Pleurisy is a condition where the lining of the lungs/chest wall becomes inflamed. Often this is triggered by a viral infection. It is likely that the infection has caused your lymph node to swell also.

You may not have any other symptoms of infection because your immune system is doing its job as indicated by the swollen lymph node.

Ibuprofen is an excellent medication to treat the pain of pleurisy. Usually the pain begins to improve after a few days.

If it does not improve you should see your doctor.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Chest symptoms”