Hepititus B

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
chickychick963

Hepititus B

Postby chickychick963 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:17 pm

I am a 19 year old female and I currently got my tongue pierced. One night ago actually, this morning while on my way to class i got very nauseous and couldn't go to class because of it. All day long I felt very very tired and this evening i've began to experience flu like symptoms. I did some research and noticed that those are symptoms of hepatitis B as well.

I am hesitant of taking any action because being in college and everything puts me a risk for contracting all kinds of viruses and I know the flu has been going around. I am also pretty sure that Hepatitis B was a require immunization before i went to middle school but I am not positive. Any suggestion?? Thanks!

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:00 am

Hi Chickychick963,

If I am understanding correctly you had your tongue pierced one day before these symptoms started. If this is correct is is very unlikely to be Hepatitis B. The virus generally has a longer incubation period than about 12 hours. Some viruses can cause infection that quickly but not many.

It is more likely that you have picked up a cold virus from somewhere else, as you have suggested.

If you're not getting better you should see your doctor.

Best wishes.

Return to “Viral Infections”