Low-Grade Fever that Will Not go Away! Help!

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
apolenick

Low-Grade Fever that Will Not go Away! Help!

Postby apolenick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Hello, I am a 29-year old female with a low grade fever that I cannot get rid of. My temp has been ranging from 99.3 up to 99.9 for the past five days. My normal temp is around 98.5. The first few days, I had the chills, headache, and felt fatigued. Now the fever is pretty much my only symptom. I went to my PCP yesterday and she said that it must be the flu--my lymph nodes were not swollen and lungs are clear. So she told me to drinks lots of fluids and rest. My question is, what could be the cause of having this for so long?? Should I be concerned, and how long should I wait before putting in another call to my doctor?

Dr. Chan Lowe
Medical Doctor

Re: Low-Grade Fever that Will Not go Away! Help!

Postby Dr. Chan Lowe » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Hello Apolenick,

Having a low-grade fever for 5 days is still within the possible realm of a viral infection. Fevers from viral infections typically do not last more than 7-10 days. If your fever does not resolve in the next few days or if it worsens you should follow up with your doctor.

Best wishes.
Advice and opinions given are based on the information provided and must not be considered an official medical recommendation. The limitations of the internet prevent an appropriate evaluation. Always consult your doctor if there is concern.

Return to “Viral Infections”