Shallow Breathing in babies

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
fastturbo1

Shallow Breathing in babies

Postby fastturbo1 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 am

2 month old girl, no past diagnoses, no past surgeries, son had breathing asma, no current medication. I just woudl like to know why my baby girl breat so hard sleeping and awake. There is a smoker int he house.

Anthony D. Johnson

Debbie Miller, RN
Nurse

Postby Debbie Miller, RN » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 pm

I would definitely eliminate the exposure to second-hand smoke. Try to let the smoker know this is a serious health risk for your baby and they must go outside for this activity. The more we learn about it the more we realize it can hurt in the long run, even if there are no apparent effects now. But, the smoke in the house does raise the risk for SIDS, as well as respiratory ailments like asthma.

If you are concerned about your baby's breathing, you should see a health care provider for an exam. At two months it is a good time to get a well baby checkup anyway. Her immunizations are due and there are important measurements to be taken. Discuss the smoking issues and your concerns about her breathing with your care provider. I hope you are in a position to do this. Good luck and take care.
The answers in online forums are for information only and are not intended to substitute for medical advice and care. Please see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.

Debbie Miller, RN

Return to “Arrhythmias”