new vibration sensation associated with PVCs

Moderators: Radiodiagnosis Team, Primary Care Team, Cardiology Team

Forum rules
YOUR POST WILL REQUIRE APPROVAL - READ: Doctors Lounge Forum Rules and Regulations
• Use a precise title for your question otherwise it will NOT be approved.
• Do not post the same question more than once & maintain related posts in original thread.
• Do not use your real name or identifiable information - You can't edit/delete your post.
zeugma

new vibration sensation associated with PVCs

Postby zeugma » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:37 pm

29-year-old male here. I've had PVCs for a dozen years or so, and a couple years ago was diagnosed with slight mitral valve prolapse (nothing the doctors were worried about).

In the last year or so, though, I've been noticing a very strong vibration in what feels like my heart, right after some PVCs. It's a "whooshing" sensation, exactly how I'd imagine turbulent blood flow to feel; it's loud enough that I can feel it with my hand, or just in my chest. I've only felt it standing up; usually it's when I'm doing something with my left arm (like washing dishes, or lifting something), but not always.

I had an echocardiogram, and my cardiologist wasn't worried. Of course, I didn't have the sensation during the examination, so no one has actually heard it but me, which leaves me a little unsatisfied.

Is this something I should pursue? Push for an echo that catches it happening? Look for a second opinion?

Thanks!

Dr.M.Aroon kamath
Medical Doctor

Re: new vibration sensation associated with PVCs

Postby Dr.M.Aroon kamath » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:04 am

Hi,
Sometimes, it so happens that a person becomes aware of cardiac mechanical events - especially premature atrial/ventricular beats, palpitations Etc.From your account, it appears that your cardiologist (after investigating you) found no cause for concern.

Just as the event did not occur at the time of your consultation with the cardiologist, it may not occur at the time of an echocardiographic examination!
It is better to put your faith in your cardiologist and follow up regularly.
Dr.M.Aroon Kamath
MB BS, MS, FRCS(Edinburgh)

Return to “Arrhythmias”