Back to Drug index
Pregnancy Category B
Inhibits the action of histamine at the histamine2 (H2)
receptors of the stomach, inhibiting gastric acid secretion and
total pepsin output.
- Short-term treatment of active duodenal ulcer
- Short-term treatment of benign gastric ulcer
- Treatment of pathologic hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison
- Prophylaxis of stress-induced ulcers and acute upper GI bleed in
critically ill patients
- Treatment of erosive gastroesophageal reflux
- Allergy to cimetidine, impaired renal or hepatic function, lactation.
- CNS: Dizziness, somnolence, headache, confusion, hallucinations,
peripheral neuropathy; symptoms of brain stem dysfunction (dysarthria,
- GI: Diarrhea
- CV: Cardiac arrhythmias, arrest; hypotension (IV use)
- Hematologic: Increases in plasma creatinine, serum transaminase
- Other: Impotence (reversible with drug withdrawal), gynecomastia (in
long-term treatment), rash, vasculitis, pain at IM injection site
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership