Back to Drug index
Pregnancy Category B
- Histamine2 (H2) antagonist
Competitively blocks the action of histamine at the histamine (H2)
receptors of the parietal cells of the stomach; inhibits basal gastric
acid secretion and chemically induced gastric acid secretion.
- Short-term treatment and maintenance of duodenal ulcer
- Short-term treatment of benign gastric ulcer
- Treatment of pathologic hypersecretory conditions
- Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD),
esophagitis due to GERD
- Allergy to famotidine; renal failure; pregnancy; lactation.
- CNS: Headache, malaise, dizziness, somnolence, insomnia
- GI: Diarrhea, constipation, anorexia, abdominal pain
- Dermatologic: Skin rash
- Other: Muscle cramp, increase in total bilirubin, sexual impotence
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership