Back to Drug index
Pregnancy Category B
- Histamine2 (H2) antagonist
Competitively inhibits the action of histamine at the histamine2
(H2) receptors of the parietal cells of the stomach, inhibiting
basal gastric acid secretion and gastric acid secretion that is
stimulated by food, insulin, histamine, cholinergic agonists, gastrin,
- Short-term treatment of active duodenal ulcer
- Maintenance therapy for duodenal ulcer at reduced dosage
- Short-term treatment of active, benign gastric ulcer
- Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Pathologic hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome)
- Treatment of erosive esophagitis
- Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to ranitidine, lactation.
- Use caution in the presence of impaired renal or hepatic function.
- CNS: Headache, malaise, dizziness, somnolence, insomnia, vertigo
- GI: Constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain,
increased SGPT levels
- CV: Tachycardia, bradycardia, PVCs (rapid IV administration)
- Hematologic: Leukopenia, granulocytopenia, thrombocytopenia,
- GU: Gynecomastia, impotence or loss of libido
- Dermatologic: Rash, alopecia
- Local: Pain at IM site, local burning or itching at IV site
- Other: Arthralgias
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership