Question: Pregnant, blood & mucus in stool

falling_fast - Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi. For the last couple month I have been constipated. I am 12 weeks pregnant and kind of assumed that it went along with that. Well then I heard it may be due to the iron in my prenatal vitamin so i am taking less. I am passing stools more often but they are still loose (kind of in balls) and its often a little painful. The last couple weeks I have been noticing streaks of red blood on the outside of the stool and there is always a yellow mucus like substance accompanied. I have been getting more and more worried about it since I am pregnant and hoping it is nothing too serious. Please help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:46 pm

Fresh Blood in stools, are usually due to lower GI bleeding.

Causes include
- Hemorrhoids or piles, they represent the most common cause of lower GI bleeding, and are easy to be diagnosed by clinical examination. Anorectal fissures as well can result in Bleeding per rectum and are easily diagnosed.
It is more likely to be the cause since you have been suffering from constipation due to iron therapy for a period of time.

- Inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis)
Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella or
a part of sexually transmitted disease like herpes simplex and Chlamydia.

Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.

Other tests according to the suspected cause like segmoidoscopy and Colonoscopy to visualize the lining mucosa and take biopsy if needed.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS,
Commonly people who have IBS complain off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus or less commonly blood containing stools.

- Other diseases that can give similar pictures to IBS and have to be excluded are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

|