Question: IBS or what?

BellaBluRosa - Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:59 am

My symptoms include sudden stomach pain occuring soon after eating (usually rich meals, fatty foods, or meat) and pain is alleviated by a bowel movement, mostly diarrhea. This happens on a weekly basis. Inbetween these episodes, I'll either be constipated, causing tears and minor bleeding (none in the stool, just from a fissure) or at least be able to pass somewhat easily harder pellets. I've increased fiber in my diet, which I think may have helped, but it's still a major problem in my life. I had a diagnosis of duodenitis several years ago, but it hasn't been a problem for me recently. Also, these sudden urges with pain started when I was pregnant (my son is almost 1 now). So, my questions are, is this IBS, is there treatment out there for these symptoms, and also, could this have anything to do with my past pregnancy?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:57 pm

User avatar Dear BellaBluRosa,

Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS. Crampy abdominal pain, often relieved by defecation is a typical symptom of IBS.The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaints of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.
The disease can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet and avoiding stress.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract especially, Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis. Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis are caused by inflammation of the wall of the GI tract.

I advise you to Follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|