Question: Lymphocytic colitis

astrogrrl - Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:45 pm

I was diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis and am trying to look up what it is but can't find anything. That was back in November and now I am seeing a new GI doctor who doesn't believe the results because I am 24 I guess. This morning I had a sigmoid flex exam and he took several biopsies and found a small polyp and removed it too. Now I am waiting on results from the biopsies. Should I be worried? What is lymphatic colitis??? Thanks for the advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:28 pm

User avatar Dear Astrogrrl,

Lymphocytic colitis is a condition in which patients suffer from chronic watery diarrhea and endoscopy is normal and the only abnormal thing detected on a biopsy is increased lymphocytes in the wall of the colon.

It is a condition that usually affects females in the ages of 50-70 years. But there are always exceptions to the rules.

There is no standardized treatment for lymphocytic colitis as not every agent works for all cases as this condition has a replapsing and remitting course.

Keep me updated as regards to biopsy results.

astrogrrl - Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:24 am

The biopsies were taken during a sigmoid flex. He said during the procedure I had a formed stool, the bipsies were NORMAL so I do not have this condition. They also found a polyp while in there and that was taken off and also NORMAL. My question now is if Lymphocytic colitis goes into say "relapse" will the biopsies be normal during remission? Also, should I get a second opinion? Also, I read somewhere on the internet that most of the time this type of colitis cannot be found on the lower sigmoid they can only get an accurate sample way up there. Is this true also? Thank you so much for your reply. I really need your assistance. I am in the Army and on my way out so I need all of the correct diagnoses NOW so I do not have a problem with the VA when I get out.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:47 pm

User avatar Dear Astrogrrl,

Thank you very much for your update.

Good news that the biopsies were negative.

Unfortunately, i can not answer those questions because i am not a gastroenterologist.

|