News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lymphocytic colitis

astrogrrl - Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:45 pm

I was diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis and am trying to look up what it is but can't find anything. That was back in November and now I am seeing a new GI doctor who doesn't believe the results because I am 24 I guess. This morning I had a sigmoid flex exam and he took several biopsies and found a small polyp and removed it too. Now I am waiting on results from the biopsies. Should I be worried? What is lymphatic colitis??? Thanks for the advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:28 pm

User avatar Dear Astrogrrl,

Lymphocytic colitis is a condition in which patients suffer from chronic watery diarrhea and endoscopy is normal and the only abnormal thing detected on a biopsy is increased lymphocytes in the wall of the colon.

It is a condition that usually affects females in the ages of 50-70 years. But there are always exceptions to the rules.

There is no standardized treatment for lymphocytic colitis as not every agent works for all cases as this condition has a replapsing and remitting course.

Keep me updated as regards to biopsy results.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 astrogrrl - Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:24 am

The biopsies were taken during a sigmoid flex. He said during the procedure I had a formed stool, the bipsies were NORMAL so I do not have this condition. They also found a polyp while in there and that was taken off and also NORMAL. My question now is if Lymphocytic colitis goes into say "relapse" will the biopsies be normal during remission? Also, should I get a second opinion? Also, I read somewhere on the internet that most of the time this type of colitis cannot be found on the lower sigmoid they can only get an accurate sample way up there. Is this true also? Thank you so much for your reply. I really need your assistance. I am in the Army and on my way out so I need all of the correct diagnoses NOW so I do not have a problem with the VA when I get out.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:47 pm

User avatar Dear Astrogrrl,

Thank you very much for your update.

Good news that the biopsies were negative.

Unfortunately, i can not answer those questions because i am not a gastroenterologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here