Question: 2 week diarrhea? help..

john_q - Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:52 pm

I almost 16 year old male, I smoke, less than half pack a day, and a couple of my aunties of my dads side have celiac disease.
My question is, I have been having diarrhea for about 2 weeks on and off. When I do get it, it is maybe once or twice, or 3 at most times a day. I do poop normally still but am wondering what is causing the diarrhea and what i can eat and drink to see if it helps. Oh, and also, when i do have diarrhea, it isn't painful, and just looks normal brownish but in diarrhea form.

Thank you for your help,

Ryan
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:46 pm

User avatar Dear john_q,

Diarrhea or loose stool could be due to :

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS: Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases. Diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

- Food intolerance, symptoms occur after ingestion of certain types of food like Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance.

- Gastroenteritis Stomach flu, there is mild fever abdominal colic, nausea and diarrhea

- Colitis due to infectious or inflammatory disorders . There is also, pain and tender abdomen.

- Appendicitis, pain and tenderness usually present and in the right iliac fossa.

Investigations include:
Stool analysis should be done to find out the causative organisms, other than viral infections. Careful microscopic studies for Giardia and ameba is important. Stool culture is also important.
Colonoscopy if needed.
You have also to observe what is triggering diarrhea. If certain types of food like milk products aggravate the diarrhea you have to avoid them.

I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor for proper management.

Keep us updated,

|