News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gall Bladder Removal

ingy - Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:45 pm

My girlfriend is having surgery to remove her gall bladder. They told her that her gall bladder is not funcioning properly because there may be something blocking it. Also they told her that this is unusual for her to be having this problem because it usually happens to people that are overweight or olderly. But, she is 16 years old and in very good shape. She is just worried that they might find something else wrong while they are in there. Like cancer or something. I told her it would be just fine but I actually am worried too. Could the thing blocking the gall bladder and causing it not to work be a tumor of some kind? Is there a gall bladder cancer or anything else serious they could find that could threaten her well being?
 mom2boys - Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:42 pm

I had my gall bladder out in Aug and it was because I had gall bladder disease and it was not functioning as well. I am in good shape as well and not overweight.. They did a ct-scan and that is how they found out there was something wrong with my gall bladderthen I had nuclear tests. Anyway, if there was some thing else it should have showed up... But of course tests are only as accurate as though who reads them. Just please have her talk to a GI dr. or someone because there are some problems that she could have after she has the gall bladder out. That is what I am going through now....
 Catherine Fergerson - Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:31 pm

I recently had my gallbladder taken out a few weeks ago. I had servere pain that left me in the hospital for a week and they did emergency gallbladder removal. ALthough now a few weeks later I have noticed some problems.
A week ago at my sister in laws house I started to feel pain, the kind I would get during an attack. Although not nearly as badly as my last few before the surgery, but none the less I know the symptoms and pain well. I went home took a hot bath and felt mostly better after that with a little bit of pain left in my side.
Although this morning I had a more servere attack, but still not as bad as the others. It lasted for about an hour and a half and I called my surgeon right away. Now I need to go back in to see him.
I still have pain from the surgery and now I am still getting attacks after the surgery. This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't have a gallbladder anymore... so how are the attacks possible?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here