News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: lower left ab pain/chronic diarrhea

Kongfuey - Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:25 pm

In March of 2005, I had a snowboarding accident where I felt bad pain in the lower left of my abdomen. It took several weeks for it to "go away". I travel a lot and when I came back home from one of my trips, this pain came back in a big way.
Now, I can eat and about 15 min later, I have diarrhea. I still have this chronic pain in my side as well. I have been checked for hernias by several doctors. I have had a CT scan done of this region as well as a colonoscopy. I am 33 years old and have always been in pretty good shape.
Can anyone help me? All of the tests came back normal. Nothing has been found, yet I still have this aching pain in my side and have had chronic diarrhea for about two months now.
I pray that someone can shed some light. I have been to four doctors now. It really affects my quality of life; at work and at home. Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:48 pm

User avatar Dear Kongfuey,

Pain felt in the left side of the abdomen associated with diarrhea can be due to many causes including:

- Colitis due to infectious or inflammatory disease like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
They all can be associated with tenderness.

- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract. The diagnosis although made by exclusion of other causes , however abdominal pain and diarrhea or constipation lasting at least 12 weeks is the main criteria for the diagnosis of IBS.

- Diverticulitis should be excluded.
- Recurrent abdominal pain and diarrhea can be also a somatization for emotional or psychological problems.

Investigations include:
Complete blood picture , blood chemistry and stool analysis.
Abdominal US.
Colonoscopy
Barrium follow through in colonoscopy negative cases to exclude small intestinal disease.

Complete history, physical examination and investigations are the only way to reach proper diagnosis and treatment. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him this information.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here